When I workout, I sweat. Like it drips from everywhere. I like a good sweat. Love it, actually. But I don’t love my stinky gym clothes that comes with it. I was starting to be embarrassed with how smelly my clothes were and felt like I needed a whole new wardrobe. Since new clothes would have been a pretty expensive option, I decided to first do a little research and see if I could fix the problem myself. Luckily, I found a few tips and I’ve been doing this combination for a few weeks now and it seems to be working! The texture of my workout pants have even changed- they’re softer and less stiff, more similar to how they were when I first bought them. And the best part- they don’t smell!
Here’s what I did-
1. Fill up an extra tub with enough water to fully cover the clothes. Add vinegar, aiming for 4 parts water to 1 part vinegar and mix well.
2. Add my sweaty clothes to the tub, fully submerging them and push them around a bit to make sure the water|vinegar mixture is worked into the clothes. Let soak minimally 30 minutes (I’ve soaked them for as long as a day….depending on when I was doing laundry but I have been doing it more frequently.)
3. Use laundry detergent with febreeze. I’m usually not a proponent for these types of products but it’s helping, so I’m sticking with it for now.
4. After at least 30 minutes of soaking, ring out gym clothes and place them in the washer. Add half the amount of laundry detergent you need and use baking soda for the other half. Wash clothes on the hottest water temperature.
5. Hang to dry. Preferably, outside in direct sunlight or a well ventilated room.
I was pretty skeptical that anything would help but I’m so glad I found something that has.
Are your workout clothes smelly? Do you have any tricks to help eliminate the odor?